Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Getting to Know Me


Last week, I took a little "Getting to know you" questionnaire over at LRC. I don't think many people read it, but it occurred to me that my friends and fans might be interested in my replies. So here it is.

Tell us about your favorite character from your books.
What if I'm a good mother and like them all?
* Galen from Alexios' Fate is a real sweetie. He's put up with so much and is now trying to come to terms with his freedom.
* Cinder in From the Ashes is another sweet guy, but he's coming into his own as a young man.
* Andreas from A Spartan Love is a lonely young man, learning to trust.There lovers are princes and/or warriors.
I guess that means I root for the underdogs.

Tell us about your current release.
My current release is From the Ashes. It is a Cinderfella, an m/m Cinderella, set in 16th century France.
Blurb: Cinder never thought that he could rise from the ashes of his life, but an unexpected encounter with a woman claiming to be his fairy godmother may be just what he needs. Finding himself flung into his very own fairy tale, she sends him off to meet his Prince Charming. But was the gown really necessary?

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
I do most of my writing during the week after the kids have gone to bed. One the weekends, I write in the morning while the kids play games. I would say I write anywhere from one to five hours, depending on the day and if the muse is talking to me.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?
Finding the time to do it. I have some of my best ideas while I'm driving to and from work, but I can't stop and get it down on paper. Then I get home and while I have the ideas, the really good words have already disappeared. :(

What does your family think of your writing career?
They don't really know about it.

What do you think makes a good story?
Engaging characters are a must. If I don't like the characters, I find it hard to keep pushing on. But I think my pet peeve is when the logic is lacking or the information is just plain wrong. Research, people! I love research.

Plotter or Pantser? Why?
Pantser. I have the basic idea, and some times it's really basic, and then I let my characters tell their stories. My best stuff happens when one of my character takes the bit in their teeth and runs with it.

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?
I get the basic idea and then while I'm driving to work, I do my best to make it both logical and plausible. It's kind of like solving a puzzle. How do I get from point A to point B?

What book are you reading now? Any favorite authors/books you want to do a shout out for?
I'm not reading anything right at this moment. Maybe later today, I'll start a new book, if I get my writing and other chores done first.
I did recently beta read two wonderful stories: Leather+Lace by AB Gayle and Easy Ryder by Deanna Wadsworth. You will want to get your hands on both once they are released.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
Cuddle up in my recliner with a blanket and a good book. Frequently, I also have a child in my lap. Good times!

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?
If you enjoy writing, write for fun. Don't get discouraged. It's also a good idea to start at one of the fanfiction sites to hone your skills. Write about something you enjoy.

What hobbies do you actively pursue?
Cross-stitch and writing.

Morning Person? Or Night Person?
Morning person. I pop right out of bed, often before the alarm goes off.

Coffee, tea or other drink to get you moving in the morning?
I post photos of hotties labeled "Morning cup of Joe" and "Double espresso", but I despise coffee! I rarely drink anything first thing in the morning. I do like a cup of tea when it's cold out. Doesn't happen too often in Houston, TX.

It's a new year so do you do resolutions or goals for the upcoming year?
I've got a few WIPs going right now. I intend to get at least half of them published. The Apollo's Men series first and anything after that is a bonus.

What is coming up from you in 2013? Anything you want to tease us with?
* I have an Alexios/Galen (Alexios' Fate 1.5) short story entitled 496 BC coming out in an anthology.
* I am also working on the continuation of Alexios and Galen's story, as well as another novel in the series called A Spartan Love.
* The first section of A Spartan Love I am calling Taming Theron, in which our young hero Andreas learns that food is indeed the way to a man's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment