Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Drag Queens Rule, Okay?


One of the stars of “Leather+Lace” is the Hotel Paradiso. The opening scenes take place in the run down hotel up near Sydney’s notorious Kings Cross.

According to my story, the venue is under new ownership and celebrates the fact with a charity fund raiser. Stevie Stanhope, aka Steven Lindsey Stanhope (when people are pissed off at him) or Stevie Tricks (when in drag) is there in two capacities: as a participant in “Blowjob for Bucks” promoting a new range of flavored condoms especially designed for oral use, and to perform three Stevie Nicks numbers.

Drag is a very obvious part of Sydney’s gay nightlife. Later in the story, I mention two of Sydney’s much loved drag queens: Amelia Airhead and Minnie Cooper. These represent two distinct shades of the drag spectrum. Amelia, (who is just as gorgeous in real life) is the truly glamorous variety. Not trying too hard, just disgustingly beautiful. Minnie Cooper on the other hand (who I've never seen out of drag so I can’t comment here) is more the in-your-face bitch-queen-from-hell variety.

There are a few venues around that they perform at. Thursdays are drag nights at Arq described as Sydney’s best gay nightclub. That’s where artists like Minnie Cooper can be found doing shows like ‘A Tribute to Katy Perry’ or a ‘Tribute to Britney’ (another favorite target).

Another version of the drag queen is Daniel Cater’s alter ego, Dallas Dellaforce. Daniel sees himself as a Performance Artist rather than a drag queen. He is a keen student of glamour and recently sold out three nights of a show dedicated to this. He goes for “effects” and a certain look that he is trying to create. He also creates his own costumes. He attended the recent Mardi Gras (our Pride event) after party as Barbie and recreated one of her costumes. He’s fascinated by the Super Models like Linda Evangelista and manages to recreate their looks.


Note the scraps of material on the floor in the above picture and he made the gown based on the Aussie and Aboriginal flags. The thing I like about Daniel is that he can do the "effect" the other way and be the butchest male around as seen on the poster for a recent Sleaze Ball and another from a recent shoot. He's more how I see the male version of Stevie...

The final type of drag queen is the female impersonator, where it’s a musical performance and not so much cross dressing to scratch a sexual kink. That’s how I see Stevie. The clothes and the make-up give him the permission to break out of the straight jacket that he’d been forced into, but he still stays as close to the original as he can. Who, let’s face it, is beautiful and all the clothes and flowing scarves can hide his tattoos and butch physique.



We don’t have any Stevie Nicks impersonators in Australia, but the US have a “Night of a Thousand Stevies.” http://www.mothernyc.com/stevie/ A guy called Todd Stephens did a fantastic rendition.








Drag queens and the guys who do drag have to be tough and usually are tough. They've had to be in life to survive. Rush Derr IV one of my Facebook friends is a great example and helped me a lot by describing his routine for getting ready for a performance.

And for those who have been curious about how they manage to hide everything so effectively. When they’re cold a guy’s balls draw up into a cavity within their pelvis. So they can tuck them into there. Then they wedge their penis back into their ass crack. Some use tape to fix it into position, others just wear tight underwear. Stevie’s flowing clothes would have hidden that aspect, but according to Rush, any drag queen who doesn't tuck is not really a drag queen.





The contrast to the Drag Queens are the Leather Men who have parties like this:
Note the ban on cologne (also expressed as “closed toe nights”).



So, I’d love to hear from readers what they think about drag queens. Love ‘em or hate ‘em? I’ll give away an ecopy of “Leather+Lace” to a lucky respondent.












Leather+Lace
Blurb: Swathed in chiffon and lace, Steven Stanhope owns the stage as Stevie Tricks, lip-synching the songs of the famous gypsy queen. But after he escapes an abusive Master/slave relationship, the only collar he'll allow around his neck is black velvet.

After a four-year absence, Steve is ready to reclaim his life and the property he left behind. But is it safe? Definitely not if his ex is still into leather. To find out, Steve appears at a charity night for the local BDSM community, using the anonymity of his stage persona to mask his identity.

Instead of his ex-Master, Julius, Steve finds a tangled mess centered around another Master of Leather, Donato Rossi. In order to unravel their ties to the past, Steve and Don must find common ground and work together. In the process, they learn that when it comes to love, sometimes you have to make your own rules.

Leather+Lace available March 22, 2013 at Dreamspinner Press



15 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog, Kayla. Your continued support means a lot to me. Writing is not an easy business....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about that.
    I always enjoy having you here. You have such wonderful posts. I usually learn a lot from you. Plus you have helped me immeasurably. So it's my pleasure to host you and your wonderful stories.
    Leather+Lace is my favorite to date with Caught a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post full of so much information. I wasn't aware of the all the hard work that goes into being a success drag queen, nor that there is such a broad spectrum. I've always been one of those women who wears as little make up as possible due to my job and time.
    I have always admired the beautiful end result of drag queens who look more stunning than most women I know. :)
    A great post, and thanks for all the great pics. *S*
    I love the blurb. I look forward to reading Leather + Lace in the future. *S*

    Darcy
    pommawolf @hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darcy, I was amazed at the variety as much as anything. Some like to be referred to as "she" while in drag. Others couldn't give a rat's arse. The deference that members of the crowd showed to the artists when they mingled after a concert at the Opera House was also interesting to watch. Some of these guys are seriously tall and the audience certainly paid them a lot of respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think many drag queens are gorgeous and wish I could look as great as them. I also love their confidence in how they look and dress.

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)mail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have guessed the different ways of 'dragging'! I live in Greensboro, NC and there are so many gorgeous drag queens that do a lot of competing at the so many shows in the area. My daughter was chosen to participate in a show a friend of hers was competing at. The props are amazing and the handmade costumes are WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh i so want to read this! Muscluar mean in womens cloths is one of my kinks xD. I like drag queens as long as they do not over do what they think is the female personlity, the extreme exaggeration annoys me a little. But I don't like it when women do it either lol. I like the elegant cool beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darcy, I'm pleased to announce you are the lucky winner of "Leather+Lace" I hope you enjoy it. Commiserations to the others. Can I recommend you buy it, or is that too pushy. And thanks again for having me Kayla.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always glad to have you over for a visit Stateside!
    For anyone interested in a great story, I can't recommend Leather+Lace enough. Stevie Tricks may be a female impersonator and Don may be a Dom, but the story is not about BDSM or drag queens. It is about learning to trust again. The elements of both drag and BDSM are very limited.
    I hope you enjoy the story as much as I did, Darcy!
    And thanks so much for joining me, Alison. Please, don't be a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Kayla
    You hit the nail on the head as far as what the book is about. I know a few people are wary of reading in the genre, yet they're the people it is really aimed at. And hard core BDSM readers will possibly be disappointed. I'm relying on reviews and word of mouth to clear the air, so comments and recommendations like yours are appreciated.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw the post from Texas. You may want to reintroduce the filter, but set it so people are warned to do it first maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These spammers are getting clever. I felt bad until the website in the comment clicked in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are even more annoying on Twitter. They reply to one of your posts and attach a link. If you check them out, they are following no one and have no followers. Wish I could delete them as easily.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol. That's why I gave up on Twitter. The bad english used to be the giveaway, but that sounded so plausible. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete